CLARITY Undergraduate Internships 2012
8 CLARITY Undergraduate Internships are available for 2012, which will run from 4 June - 24 August 2012.
Deadline for applications for project below is extended to Wed April 25th 2012.
Supervisors/Mentors: Dr Cian O'Mathuna and Dr Patricia Vazquez with Dr Paul Galvin, based in Tyndall, Cork
***Student would ideally have a biotechnology or optical background***
CLARITY offers a number of paid internships, during the summer, designed for undergraduate students to participate and contribute to exciting research projects.
The internships are based in one of the three academic institutions associated with CLARITY (UCD, DCU, and Tyndall National Institute, Cork), and complements the many research programmes within CLARITY.
The primary aim of the CLARITY undergraduate internship is to offer exceptional undergraduate students the opportunity to participate and contribute to exciting research projects at CLARITY which allows the student to use leading research facilities and to inspire these students to take the first step on a path to a research career.
Through the CLARITY Undergraduate Internship, Interns will be:
- Given the opportunity to undertake research in a co-operative environment;
- Introduced to research via relevant and stimulating real-world applications which will be used in ongoing research projects;
- Exposed to new research problems, interdisciplinary research exploration as well as the use of high-tech equipment;
- Given groundwork in basic research skills, which will assist the interns in transforming the internship experience into a long term plan for research career options;
The CLARITY Undergraduate Internship will:
- Stimulate enrolment in graduate studies via the involvement of talented undergraduate students in scientific investigation under mentorship of researchers and prepare scholars for graduate studies;
- Raise awareness and understanding of defined CLARITY research themes;
- Develop showcase examples that will allow us to tell the story of our research to the wider lay community;
Terms and Conditions
- Each project in the CLARITY undergraduate Internships will run for 12 weeks during the summer months.
- The three host institutions (UCD, DCU and Tyndall) have many facilities available for interns including library, sports facilities, laboratories and technical support.
- The disability support services from the three institutions offer a range of learning support to students registered with the service and it will be available to the CLARITY interns.
Funding available for CLARITY interns
Each student will receive a tax-free stipend (where applicable) of €300 weekly
CLARITY internships are only open to undergraduate students attending universities within the EU. In order to be eligible for the CLARITY Undergraduate Internship, students should fit the following criteria:
- Students should be registered for a honours bachelors degree (NFQ level 8) in a subject related to CLARITY research themes
- Students should be 2nd, 3rd or final year students
To apply for any of the above CLARITY undergraduate internship projects, please fill out the application form and provide a personal statement (1000 words max) about why you would like to work as a CLARITY intern, and return to aoibheann.bird(at)ucd.ie.